Thursday, July 14, 2016

SUMMER ADVENTURE 2016 - Day 3

We woke up ready to hike and explore the Grand Canyon!  One of the hikes we did was the Trail of Time.  It was a great hike for the kids because each step represented a million years (they had the steps marked with pennies) and every so often a sample of rock that would have existed in that time frame was on display.  

It definitely kept my kids interest walking this hike.  

We hiked about three miles along the rim of the Grand Canyon on this day and the kids did awesome.  We did it right after breakfast which was great because we saw very few people on the trail.  (In summer the trails can get very crowded which we observed as we were finishing our hike).


As I am looking at these pictures, I am realizing how close I really am to the edge.  My fear of heights was manageable for the Grand Canyon but now looking back at the pictures, I want to scream at myself, "YOU ARE TOO CLOSE TO THE EDGE!!!"

Our kids are definitely troopers about hiking and they do enjoy it.  We had zero complaints even in the almost 100 degree heat.  
These are the trails at The Grand Canyon, for those who haven't visited.  Very manageable and easy stroll.  We did not veer from the trails into the canyon because that would have given me an anxiety attack.  
By the time we were finishing our hike, tour buses had begun to arrive and the trails were shoulder to shoulder.  So we were very thankful we got to enjoy the beauty with just a few other hikers.  

Breathtaking.  
We all just kept repeating, "Wow" "This is amazing" "I can't believe this" "It looks fake, like a movie screen"

This is a good candid shot Stephen took because we did this a lot.  We just sat and looked and marveled at the beauty.  




I love my little family of hikers taking another break to enjoy this treasure together. 

Addison and Luke loved looking through these scopes that would point out special viewpoints or the Colorado River.
 
And after all that hiking we were certainly ready for some ice cream!!





  
One last evening shot at The Grand Canyon.  We loved experiencing it all together for the first time.  Beautiful!



No comments: