Saturday, September 15, 2012

Experience or Crazy

As parents, we all strive to provide our children with new experiences.  But sometimes, I have to laugh at our "experiences" and wonder if we are just plain crazy for letting our kids do it.  A doctor friend of Stephen's rehabilitates baby raccoons and then releases them back into the wild.  And when I say rehabilitates, I mean they let them wander about their gorgeous million dollar home and they feed them bottles and cuddle them and walk them.  They offered to let our kids come over and experience the baby raccoons.  I decided this was definitely a daddy field trip because I would have been a nervous nelly around the raccoons.  The kids of course enjoyed every second and brought pictures to their school to share all their stories with their class.  They even fed the raccoons marshmallows.  So as you look at the pictures, just remember, no children or raccoons were hurt in the taping of this blog.
Amelia pretty much could not be happier than when she is holding an animal...a baby animal...even better.

The raccoons loved being held but hated being put down so they held on with their paws and didn't  let go.

Addison's first time holding a baby raccoon...you can tell she hated it.

Guess which of my three kids is like me and just a tad bit cautious?  Mr. Luke spent lots of time petting but not any time holding.  I think he wanted to make a quick get away if they went all Gremlin on him.

They don't bite at all as demonstrated by Miss Fearless.

I just couldn't get enough of these pictures.  The raccoons loved to play and chase the kids outside but they don't try to leave and go into the woods.


This is exactly how Addison talks to our dogs so I am sure she was saying something like, "Hi there little raccoon, you are just so cute and I love you."  
So, judge if you must our parenting...I am still waiting for child protective services to knock on my door.  But at least give us some extra points for this-we did have the big talk that explained they are to never, never, never, never, never touch any wild animal unless mommy or daddy is with them and tells them it is okay.  Although anyone in my family will clearly remember Grandma Wellhoefer and Uncle Joe letting wild raccoons climb up them at North Twin and eat off of them.  I remember as a little girl being terrified and mesmerized at the same time.  

No comments: