Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ash Wednesday


Yesterday being Ash Wednesday we went to church to participate in our service and receive our ashes from Pastor Scott (or as Addison calls him Pastor Tott).  Before we left for church I had asked Amelia and Luke if they knew what special day it was today.  Luke yelled excitedly, "It's Ash Monday!!"  Well, close enough big guy.  We discussed the season of Lent and how it is a time to think about Jesus' journey to the cross and all he sacrificed for us.  Luke was able to remember all of that and then he added, "Mom, the ashes are just like in Lion King when the monkey wipes the ashes on Simba's forehead."  I had to think about his reference for a moment but he was right.  He cracks me up with his ability to remember EVERYTHING!  Even things I don't want him to remember.
Anyhow, our church family was presented  with some challenges that I thought I would share...
Be a neighbor by allowing yourself to be greatly inconvenienced this Lent to help someone that is difficult to love.  (Good Samaritan)
What is something you put in front of Christ's invitation to follow him?  Walk away from it this Lent.
This Lent when you struggle with sin ask the Lord to help you walk the other way toward the house where He is waiting.
Take time to think about when Jesus stopped and found you.  Give something you have to someone who doesn't this Lent.

Personally, I knew these would be great goals, not only during the Lenten season but all year. I have never given up anything for Lent but I thought this year I would try.  It is supposed to be something you really love and will be hard to give up.  So initially, I thought, oooh Facebook.  And then I thought, no that is taking the easy road because I gave it up for almost two weeks while we were moving.  Then I decided on desserts.  I decided it would be something that I would crave a lot and I really will want to give into my sweet tooth but that can help me remember why I am giving it up in the first place.  "Make us hungry for nothing else than the table you have set for us."  However, I totally had to eat one Cadbury egg before I started my fast.  Yummo.  I also told Stephen I expect a giant, humongous Easter basket filled with candy and desserts just for me on Easter morning.  Oh, and my loyal readers, just so you know...I double checked with Stephen on the first challenge, the love someone who is difficult to love one; it wasn't me.  Whew.

No comments: