Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Preschool Time!

Luke has been talking excitedly about going to preschool for the last two years. Well, the big day arrived and this is how he felt about it. Actually, this is how he felt about it after I found him, he was hiding behind my bed and I couldn't find him. The poor little guy nearly broke my heart. I always assume Luke is my boisterous kid, who loves new situations, who will barely look back at me when I drop him off. Well, I was wrong. But I was able to salvage the morning by giving him an early birthday present. Look at the mood change below when I gave him his first big boy backpack . . . Buzz Lightyear!

That's the picture I was expecting! He still tried to talk me out of preschool the whole drive to school. He kept telling me, "Well mom, I think preschool is all done now." "Mom, I think all the kids went home for preschool today." So I walked him in and we found his hook and played a few toys and it was time for me to leave. He asked me to stay and then asked for a big hug which he got ten more than he asked for and then I told him I'd have a surprise for him when I picked him up. He didn't cry but he looked really sad and worried. I felt horrible but I knew he would love it. So after I dropped him off, I felt guilty and went and bought all the red balloons in Ocean Springs and filled the van with them. Of course when I picked him up he was smiling ear to ear and loved his big boy school and his teachers Miss Mary and Miss Winnie. I asked him what his favorite part of school was and he told me, "going potty two times." Whatever.
I think every kid should get taken out to eat after their first day of school right? So Luke picked McDonald's, surprise, surprise. We met his friend Morgan there and they had a great old time. Luke was very excited about his balloon surprise in the car too. Although I have a feeling when I pick him up Friday he is going to be very disappointed when their are no balloons and no McDonald's, hmm.
That night Luke got to eat dinner off the 'You are special' plate. Always a big hit around our house. My babysitter was kind enough to take the picture for me since I was out and about that evening. Thanks Emily!
Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you big boy Luke!

2 comments:

Marian said...

I love the first photo!
If I wasn't craving for a fresh mex burrito, we would have been at Mc Donald's too!!

Marian said...

I love the first photo!
If I wasn't craving for a fresh mex burrito, we would have been at Mc Donald's too!!